With flu season in full swing, everyone is looking for the best way to stay healthy. Trust me I know, now more then ever. Even though we don’t know how to protect against coronavirus, we can still take action with preventing the flu! It’s also becoming more and more popular to lean towards the natural more clean way of taking care of our homes, families and yourself.
I’m no tree huger, but I personally am not a huge fan of all the chemicals in everything nowadays.
There are plenty of ways to limit the toxins in your every day life and home. They can help you stay healthy and keep your house and family clean. It’s a win win! There’s a few favorites I like to have in my home, always on hand for use, and one might shock you. Or maybe that was just me, when I found out how it’s been helping!
I really like the Better Life product line on Amazon and Mrs. Meyer’s is really popular too. My sister-in-law loves them! I know your here for the real show. you’re probably like what’s this humidifier for flu? The flu SUCKS! I know, although I’m pretty sure I’ve only had it like once. I never get sick! But, that’s besides the point. (Edit; I did get sick a few days ago, but only a common cold!)
You best believe I went out and bought a new Humidifier!
4 Reasons To Use A Humidifier for Flu Season
Buying a humidifier is one of the single greatest things you can get to insure wellness. Here’s why a humidifier can be so effective:
1. Higher humidity levels have proven to kill off the virus. Some studies have found that the flu virus is easily transmitted through the air when humidity is below about 40 or 50 percent, but less likely to be transmitted when the air is at or above 40 or 50 percent humidity.
Unfortunately the flu virus has a higher risk to enter your home in the next few months, but a good humidifier can help reduce the survival of flu viruses that may be in the air. Look for a model with an opening large enough to allow for easy cleaning. This one I bought, is great in all ways and is super easy to clean, you can even throw the tank parts on the dishwasher!
2. Humidifiers help with coughing and congestion. Congestion is often caused by inflammation in the airways. Sinus inflammation and infections are often triggered by breathing too dry of air. You know it’s the worst trying to sleep while coughing all night.
3. Better sleep. By keeping your throat and nose hydrated, humidifiers can help provide a much better sleep environment. A better night’s rest can help your body maintain peak health to fight off illness, as well as recover more quickly if you do get sick.
4. Helps your dry nose and cracked lips. On e second note really quick defiantly invest in tissues with lotion, you remember how annoying it is to have a dry cracked nose and lips. Along with a humidifier it can really sooth and help dry skin.
Types of Humidifires
- Central Humidifier – Built directly into your homes air conditioning or heating unit
- Evaporators – Blows moisture through a moisture filter.
- Steam Vaporizer – ( MY Favorite) Heats the water and cools it before expelling it out into the room. You can get then to have a warm vapor as well.
There are a few more out there but I think these are the best. The steam vaporizer is my favorite so far. I also recommend you pick up a hygrometer, because the Mayo Clinic recommends that humidity stay between 30 and 50 percent. A hygrometer can determine how much humidity is in your home. Some central humidifiers come equipped with hygrometers, but you can also find them on Amazon for like $8.
How to practice good hygiene
It’s one thing to keep your house clean, but to keep yourself clean is the bigger part in avoiding the flu this year. As many of you know the basics, wash your hands, don’t touch your face and cough/sneeze into your elbow. Allure names Joy body wash one of the best head to toe washes, and it’s sulfate free!
Burt’s Bees also is one of my favorite natural body care line, they have a great body wash on Amazon! It’s a 99.9% natural body wash that is formulated without parabens, phthalates, petrolatum or SLS.
All in all, there are a lot of ways you can make your family and house better protected from the flu and all sorts of germs. I like to take baby steps and try a few thing out before I go all in and make it my go to. So, try out some new natural ways to prevent the nasty germs and I’m sure you will find your favorites soon!
If you have any questions you can leave them below! I always love to chat with you and see every ones stories and experiences with new things.
Stay Positive –